Mary D. Henry, passed away on August 16, 2014, at the age of 89. Mary D. was born August 4, 1925 in Lewisburg, Tennessee.
She attended Marshall County Schools, graduating high school in three years as valedictorian. While in high school, she studied piano, organ, voice and expression, and won the Latin cup in a state wide tournament for Latin studies. She graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a double major in French and Spanish from Brenau College, Gainesville, Georgia, with one of the highest grade point averages in the history of Brenau. While at Brenau she was the President of the Senior Class, and President of her Phi Mu Sorority for two years, and also was President of Sigma Pi Alpha, a language honor sorority. She served as Vice President of the Panhellenic Council, was on the Student Council, the Honor Court, the Executive Council, the Student Faculty Relations Board, the Yearbook Staff, the Choral Club, the Cotillion Club, and was elected Maid of May in the May Festival. Mary D. was elected by her peers and the faculty to Who’s Who among Students at American University and Colleges, and she attended summer school at Vanderbilt University. Following graduation she served for two years as traveling field secretary for Phi Mu Sorority and she studied Spanish at Middlebury College in Vermont.
She married James H. Henry Sr. on June 30, 1949 and taught Spanish at Cumberland University, while her husband obtained his law degree from Cumberland Law School. In June 1950, she moved to Tullahoma with Jim Henry Sr., where he established the Henry & McCord law firm with John McCord. During this time, she taught both French and Spanish at Tullahoma High School, and later taught Spanish at Motlow College.
She was active in the Methodist Church, where she served as a circle leader for two years, taught Sunday School classes, assumed the Vice-Presidency of the United Methodist Women, and sang in the choir. She took communion to persons in assisted living facilities, even while she lived in an assisted living facility.
She was active in the Daughters of the American Revolution, where she has been a member since 1947. She served as the senior leader for six years of the Tullahoma Chapter of the DAR, the district director for two years, and also served as state historian of DAR for the state of Tennessee for three years. Mary D. was State President of the CAR (Children of the American Revolution) for three years.
She was active in PTA organizations, having served as the President of the PTO at East Lincoln Elementary School, and helped organize and served as first President of Robert E. Lee Elementary School PTO.
She organized Tullahoma Girl Scout Troup 54, and served as its Troop Leader for two years and served as a den mother for the Cub Scouts.
She was a member of the Tullahoma Women’s Club for over 50 years, and a member of a local bridge club of her friends, for over 60 years, and Treasurer of the Tullahoma Library Board. She was a Paul Harris Fellow in Rotary International.
Predeceasing her were her Father and Mother, Virgil Graydon Miller and Iva Pearl Miller, her brother, Virgil Graydon Miller, Jr., and her husband James H. Henry Sr.
She is survived by three children, Marees (Walker) Choppin, Nashville, Tennessee, Jim (Lisa) Henry II, Tullahoma, Tennessee and Pat (Richard) Poyle, Birmingham, Michigan, and grandchildren and step grandchildren: Katie (Jamie) Davenport, Tullahoma, Tennessee, Will Choppin, Nashville, Tennessee, Brian (Amy) Choppin, Nashville Tennessee, Laura (Scott) Randolph, Pegram, Tennessee, Joshua Hayes, Seattle Washington, Jeremy (Shannon) Hayes, Chickamauga, Georgia, Jessie Hayes, Smyrna, Tennessee, and Erin (Chris) Quiroga, Farmington Hills, Michigan, great grandchildren and step great grandchildren: James Davenport, Penn Hayes, Cohen Hayes, Campbell Hayes, and Pressley Choppin, and several loving caregivers, Lynda, Tammy, Carol, Dottie and Dorris who helped her greatly in her final months.
Visitation will be 5:00-8:00pm at Kilgore Funeral Home, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, with the services at the First United Methodist Church 10:00am Wednesday, August 20, 2014.
In lieu of flowers, donations are suggested to one of the following: The Parish Nursing Ministry of the First United Methodist Church for its Henry Center, or Partners For Healing.