With temperatures expected to drop down to as low as zero this week, the State Fire Marshal’s Office is reminding residents to use portable generators safely this winter. In a statement released by the TN Department of Commerce and Insurance, Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak says “it’s essential that you take precautions for your safety” when using a generator should power outages take place. Safety Tips: -Never use generators inside your home or enclosed areas. Generator released carbon monoxide, which is odorless, can be deadly. A battery-powered carbon monoxide alarm should be installed in the area you are using a generator. -Use fresh gasoline and allow the engine to cool for at least two minutes before refueling. Generators shouldn’t be used near combustible materials. -Generators shouldn’t be used in wet conditions and should never be used by plugging it in to a home’s wall outlet due to electrocution risk. Appliances should be plugged directly into the generator and cords should not be coiled, instead laid in flat, open locations.