Possible Fire Averted At Harton Hospital

Harton Regional Medical Center

There were tense moments Thursday night at Harton Regional Medical Center but quick action by hospital personnel took care of the problem.
According to Stephanie Speegle who is director of marketing for the hospital, around 7:30 p.m. the air conditioning unit located in the pain center locked up, causing the belts on the unit to smoke and burn in two,” The smoke from the unit then went into the exhaust fans for the cafeteria and kitchen area. According to Fire Chief Richard Shasteen, the dietary staff immediately pulled the fire alarm and maintenance personnel started shutting down all air conditioning units and exhaust fans around the dietary area. The chief explained that when members of the Tullahoma Fire Department arrived and found hospital employees with fire extinguishers.