«

»

Be Fireworks Smart This Independence Day

fireworks2Celebrating our nation’s independence with fireworks has been a longstanding tradition in Tullahoma. However, children and teens are the people most often seriously injured through their use.
Tullahoma Fire Chief, Richard Shasteen encourages Tullahomans to be fireworks smart this July Fourth and use extreme caution when setting off fireworks.
Follow the law – No fireworks ignited or launched within 600 feet of any church, assisted living facility, nursing home, hospital, funeral home, public or private academic structure, OR, within 200 feet of where fireworks are stored, sold, or offered for sale. You may not ignite fireworks on another person’s private property without permission. Fireworks shall not be launched or fired onto property of persons who have not given permission. Hours for fireworks: JULY 1 through JULY 3: 10:00 am – 10:30 pm; JULY 4: 10:00 am – 11:30 pm.
It’s also worth noting that state legislation passed in 2011 reclassified sky lanterns as special fireworks exclusively for use by individuals with a professional license (certified flame effect operator, certified outdoor display operator or certified proximate pyrotechnic operator). The general public cannot purchase or use sky lanterns, and if found in the possession of someone who does not have a professional license issued by the State Fire Marshal, sky lanterns can be confiscated and later destroyed.
Think safety – If consumer fireworks are legal where you live and you decide to set them off on your own, be sure to follow these important safety tips:
• Never allow children to handle or ignite fireworks.
• Read and follow all warnings and instructions.
• Wear eye protection.
• Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
• Never throw or point fireworks at people or animals.
• Only light fireworks outdoors on a smooth, flat surface away from homes, dry leaves and flammable materials.
• Never try to relight fireworks that have not fully functioned.
• Keep a bucket of water and a garden hose nearby in case of a malfunction or fire.
• Sparklers are not toys and cause hundreds of injuries every year. Sparklers burn hot, can reach temperatures as high as 1,200° F, and stay hot long after they’ve burned out. You wouldn’t hand a matchbook or lighter to a child to wave around or play with – so, don’t give a child a sparkler.