Two fires Wednesday had area firefighters dealing with fires in the county.
A house fire at 305 East Grizzard Street left a family without their belongings.
According to Tullahoma Fire Chief Richard Shasteen, a fire started in the electrical panel at the house and quickly spread throughout the dwelling. “Fire crews arrived and quickly contained the blaze within 20 minutes,” the chief stated. “The house suffered extensive heat and smoke damage.”
According to the chief, the residents of the house Tammy Bain, her son Cody and boyfriend Eric Cornett lost all of their belongings in the fire.
According to the fire chief the owner of the property, Larry Prince, was able to relocate them into another house that he owns, but they lost their belongings.
Shasteen urged those who rent to should obtain renters insurance. “It is inexpensive and it will cover people’s belongings,” he stated.
Wednesday members of the Manchester Fire Department were dispatched to the Coffee County Jail due to fire alarm activation.
Due to the smoke, inmates had to be moved outside to a holding area until the smoke could be removed from the building. The sheriff noted that it was cold but they had no other choice but to remove the prisoners and put them into the fenced holding area.