Red Cross Lifeguard Training
Prerequisites: To be eligible for the lifeguard training course, the candidate must be 15 years of age on or before the final scheduled session of this course. The candidate must also successfully complete the following swimming prerequisites:
- Swim 500 yards continuously (10 laps w/out stopping), using these strokes in the following order.
- 200 yards of Freestyle using rhythmic breathing (face in the water) and a stabilized propellant kick.
- 100 yards of Breaststroke using rhythmic breathing.
- 200 yards of either freestyle or breaststroke or a mixture of either.
2. Swim 20 yards using freestyle or breaststroke, surface dive to the depth of
10-12 feet retrieve a 10 pound object, return to surface and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object.
3. Tread water with no hands for 2 min.
The swimming prerequisites will be completed during the first day of class. If participants do not complete them successfully they will not be allowed to continue the training. No refunds will be issued.
Tips for Success: Get in the pool and practice several weeks in advance!!
*Goggles will be allowed for the prerequisites but not during the training course.
Class Dates: Everyone will meet March 11, 2013 @ 4:00pm.
*Participants are responsible for Classroom lecture portion to be completed on-line. Pool sessions will be set up after first day of class.
Fee: $110.00 to Rec Center + $35.00 paid on-line to Red Cross
A non-refundable deposit of $20.00 is required at the time of registration.
**Must have access to computer to complete on-line work.